On Thursday we got all packed up for the day and headed to Niagara Falls. This was top on my list of places to take the kids while were were in New York.

I really wanted to go on Maid of the Mist again. N8 and I went a little over 10 years ago while were were in NY for our wedding reception. I really thought the kids would enjoy it, and they did!
Here's what the boats look like from the top:

We all got on our pretty blue ponchos and the boat headed for the Falls!!


You get a little wet while out there!


After Maid of the Mist we headed over to Goat Island and had a picnic. Then we explored the Falls a little more:



After Niagara Falls we drove over to the town of Lockport, NY. We were on a quest to see some of the locks on the Erie Canal in use!

We had been through Lockport years ago, but at the time the canal was empty for the winter. Even N8, who grew up in the area had never seen a boat go through the locks.

Here is one of the locks opening to let the boat through. This was after the water had been made level:

Look closely at the next 2 pictures at the water level. The water had to be raised and equal with the water on the other side of the lock so the boat could go through:


It was very interesting and I'm glad we took the time to check it out. N8's grandma has recently been reading about the history of the Erie Canal so N8 took a video of the entire process (which takes about 2o minutes) so she could see how it all works.
After watching the locks we headed over to a restaurant for dinner and dessert. Friendly's: Where Ice Cream Makes the Meal!! My kind of restaurant!!
Check out Uncle Brent and Emma's Ice Cream! Yum!!



I really wanted to go on Maid of the Mist again. N8 and I went a little over 10 years ago while were were in NY for our wedding reception. I really thought the kids would enjoy it, and they did!
Here's what the boats look like from the top:
We all got on our pretty blue ponchos and the boat headed for the Falls!!
You get a little wet while out there!
After Maid of the Mist we headed over to Goat Island and had a picnic. Then we explored the Falls a little more:
After Niagara Falls we drove over to the town of Lockport, NY. We were on a quest to see some of the locks on the Erie Canal in use!
We had been through Lockport years ago, but at the time the canal was empty for the winter. Even N8, who grew up in the area had never seen a boat go through the locks.
Here is one of the locks opening to let the boat through. This was after the water had been made level:
Look closely at the next 2 pictures at the water level. The water had to be raised and equal with the water on the other side of the lock so the boat could go through:
It was very interesting and I'm glad we took the time to check it out. N8's grandma has recently been reading about the history of the Erie Canal so N8 took a video of the entire process (which takes about 2o minutes) so she could see how it all works.
After watching the locks we headed over to a restaurant for dinner and dessert. Friendly's: Where Ice Cream Makes the Meal!! My kind of restaurant!!
Check out Uncle Brent and Emma's Ice Cream! Yum!!
5 comments:
I would to go visit there someday. Looks like a lot of fun to get all wet:) That ice cream also looks. AMAZING!
Mmmmm. Yummy ice cream! Looks like a great time.
The locks are pretty dang cool...I got to see some in action in Chicago and really enjoyed it. I'd really like to see the system working the Pananama Canal...from a Cruise Boat balcony tho. :)
Sounds like you are having an incredible summer. Great posts!
i visited the Erie Canal in Utica this week.
Post a Comment