Thursday, June 21, 2007

What is commitment?

Elder Russell M Nelson said:
"When the time comes for you to sacrifice for that which you believe, will you have the faith to make that sacrifice? Have you made the commitment to do anything the Lord asks, and are you disciplined enough to fulfill that commitment, even at a time that may not be particularly opportune or pleasant? I would encourage each of you to promise the Lord, now, that you will do as he or his messengers ask. The sacrifice may be great; the sacrifice may be small. But may you all have the strength and integrity to act on your faith, so that you may one day appear before the Lord blameless, knowing that you did everything in your power to prove your commitment."

M. Russell Ballard, “The Power of Commitment,” New Era, Nov 1989, 4

I have been struggling with commitment. The worst part is that my struggle is not with my own commitment, but with others. I was taught when you said yes to someone you followed through. If it happened that you were unable to follow through, you found someone to replace and take care of that thing in you place. There was no backing out, not showing up, or only filling a part of what was asked. Maybe my parents were not the norm, but because this is how they were, that is how I am, and luckily for my so is N8.

I do not want to assume the worst in people. I want to believe that they will do what they said they would, or would not for that matter. Maybe it's just a bad week, but I feel like lack of commitment is creeping up all around me.

On a better note, I did finish my VT for the month, our Quarterly Enrichment Activity was successful and we've started swimming lessons!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Sounds like a problem with someone at church... Sheri (Primary Pres) has problems like that all the time. Last week a new lady in our ward asked Sheri to ask the Relief Society (RS) pres for meals... they were moving in and had no dishes. Sheri left a message with the RS pres and asked her to call her back when she got the message. Sheri continued to call and call... no response. I pulled out my secret weapon, use it sparingly against the right church member and you'll always get through... It's *67. She used it... the RS pres picked right up and claimed she hadn't listen to her voicemail. Sheri passed on the request. The RS pres then asked for the address for the new family... Sheri said it was on her voicemail... Suddenly the RS pres remembered that Sheri had in fact left a message.