Sunday, August 22, 2010

Craft: Homemade Storage Cubbies

I ventured out to a few garage sales on Friday and picked up a few tray jigsaw puzzles. Our kids love to do puzzles, but storing them is kind of a pain! I recently came upon a simple no/low cost solution to our problem~Homemade storage cubbies!!

I first came upon the the idea at Smart Bottom Enterprises and then it took me to Family Fun. I had all of the supplies, the kids were watching African Screams and Henry was snoozing in his swing.

I started with:
~3 medium size priority shipping boxes
~12x12 coordinating scrapbook paper
~black duct tape

First I cut the flaps off one end of the boxes. Then cut the paper down so it would slide into the box. The paper isn't quite long enough, but unless you're peering with a flashlight down inside the cubby, you can't see the back.

Next stack the boxes on top of each other and carefully duct tape the front edge of two boxes, plus the paper, together. It might be easier to tape the boxes together first and then tape the paper in, but I was pretty low on duct tape and was trying to conserve!

Next cut paper to fit down the insides (I had 3 boxes, so 6 sides) and carefully duct tape.

Then I cut paper to fit the 2 outsides and the top and tapes again.

That was it!

It literally took me about 15 minutes. These would be great for school papers, mail slots or with slightly bigger boxes- scrapbook paper.
The Girl Creative

2 comments:

Kim said...

Great idea! I'm keeping this in my file for when Oliver gets into puzzles.

The Nate and Sara Project said...

That is really cute! Great storage for anything, really! PS- I adore Henry.