Saturday, March 31, 2012

Everythings coming up irises...

Back in February I decided to try forcing bulbs inside. I had seen it on Pinterest and thought it would be fun to try. I wanted to try tulips, but couldn't find any bulbs in town. Then I was shocked at the price of bulbs and went with one that was more economical-the iris!
I failed to consider that they grow quite tall. But I got 2!!
So this is a bowl I got at the local thrift store for $.50, rocks (no soil) and bulbs. I kept water in it, about 1/2 cup a day (except when we left town).
This was right as the first one was blooming

Here is the first one opening, the second one was still closed.

 
Both open!

 
I think I'll have to try another type of flower next time, but it has been fun to watch it grow in my kitchen window! 

1 comment:

Megan said...

I really want to try that! I also want to do the green onion one, too. Or, I wonder if you could grown big onions this way?...