Last month I was released from being the compassionate service leader in my ward. I had been serving for 3 1/2 years and personally I think I was on the brink of burn out. I am happy with the Facebook and emailing age where we can instant message and quickly connect without a phone call. As a teenager I don't even remember enjoying chatting on the phone. I would rather be in person. So a calling that consisted of a lot of phone calling (for 3 1/2 years) was sometime tough for me to handle. Although I do think I magnified and did what was asked and needed of me.
With the release of one calling comes a new one. I am now the Young Women Secretary. In all of my adult life I have never served in the Young Women. I also haven't been a secretary since I was 12 and in Beehives. But I love the ladies I get to work with and we have fabulous girls in the Young Women program.
Since N8 serves in the bishopric and is specifically over both the Young Women and Young Men, he attends the weekly opening exercises and activities. So I don't get to go to those, but I do go to the Sunday lessons and help keep things organized (or at least try to!).
But this week was different, it was Young Women in Excellence. An annual activity recognizing the girls in the accomplishments within the personal progress program. And since school hasn't started I was able to find a college student home that could babysit so I could attend.
| Setting up |
I wasn't in on too much of the planning, but was able to help make some awesome T-shirts designed by Ashley and help set up for the activity. It was touching to see the girls present items that that had worked on for personal progress. Like I said we have some pretty awesome girls. It was also pretty cool to have the parents come up and read letters that they had written about how their daughter arises and shines forth (or gets her shiny on :))! That was the theme for the evening "Arise and Shine Forth", which is also the mutual theme for the year.
| The cute shirts wrapped in fun sparkly ribbon by Ashley!! |
| Fun pictures for the girls made by Rachel F |
| Another sign made by Rachel F for the girls. She made them after she was released and the week she moved. They were so cute and sparkly! |
| The YW leaders |
| I wanted a shot of the back of the shirt :) It says "got my shiny on"! |
I can't wait to see what more comes as I serve with these wonderful ladies and young women!
No comments:
Post a Comment