Monday, January 14, 2008

Overcoming...

ad·dic·tion[uh-dik-shuhn] –noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
So in life and throughout society many individuals have addictions to things. Addiction and self discipline have been on my mind lately.
self-dis·ci·pline [self-dis-uh-plin, self-] –noun discipline and training of oneself, usually for improvement: Acquiring the habit of promptness requires self-discipline.


I think I have a few addictions. Luckily none of them could cause me to be put in jail and none are life threatening. But still if it would cause me severe trauma, I probably shouldn't be doing it!!

  1. Dr Pepper, Oh, how I love Dr Pepper and I think trauma would be a good word to use if I had to stop drinking it!!
  2. Crafting, could this really be an addiction??? Well it might be a stretch, but I think I would be extremely sad if I couldn't do my crafty things. Here's my latest creation: Binky clips!!
  3. Lastly, (at least for now!) is chocolate. I can take chocolate in any way shape or form. I just can't get enough!! (I really wanted to insert the video of Depeche Mode's music video here! But couldn't figure out how. So, here a link for your enjoyment!)
So, What's the point of all of this?? Ok, really I'm asking myself the same question. But I have realized that I need more self disipline and maybe through 2008 I should try to overcome some of my not so good addictions (Dr Pepper and maybe reality TV should be added to the list!) and replace them with better habits like: scripture study, playing games with my children and exercise. We'll see how it goes!



9 comments:

Andrea said...

Those binky clips are the cutest thing ever! Love em!

ooooo said...

Exchange caffinee free diet coke for DR pepper and you just hit my biggest addictions too. I love the clips.

jeremyandleslie said...

I love love love those binky clips! Way too cute! You are way crafty! Em and I just finished snuggling in the blanket you made for her! :)

Amy said...

Rachel, the first step is admitting you have a problem. So ever since moving to NC I started drinking Dr Pepper (probably in some psycho attempt to keep a little of you with me). Anyway, let me just tell you that it is WAY more addicting than coke. But I've kicked the habit. I haven't had one since Jan 2. However, I've started a transitional addiction with chocolate. But I always had that hidden in me somewhere. We could be each other's sponsors. What do you think?

Lupe said...

I have a contract (vs. covenant) with Dr. Pepper. I shall not break my contract of consumption. Same goes for chocolate...it helps my white blood cells do...whatever it suppose to do. So you see, I have no addiction. ;)

Rosie said...

Hi, my name is Rosie and I am addicted to chocolate, Coke on tap, and the internet........And I wish I could send you some snow!:)

michelle said...

You are so talented! Those binkie clips are darling! I too., think I have a Diet Dr. Pepper addicion. I have been realy treying to up the water, and rid the D.P. So far I am still drinking the D.P. :)

kjha said...

You can give up the Dr. Pepper if you want but NEVER the crafting! As a grateful recipient of a binky clip I say, Craft On!

The HousewifeTravels said...

I was addicted to Dr. Pepper as a teenager. I kicked the habit and still look how I turned out. Enough said!
P.S. It's called Dr. Pepper because it use to be medicinal. I think a laxative.