Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We won the fight, now let's take a nap!!

What a night!! But in the end it was all worth it! Proposition 8 passed and marriage in the State of California is now define as marriage between one man and one women!

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/05/voters-decide-hot-button-issues-nationwide/
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-gaymarriage6-2008nov06,0,3317246.story?page=1

What a wonderful experience it was to work so hard with such valiant people by our sides. It was well worth all of the time, money, sleeplessness, etc that so many people put into it.

This entire process has led me to really think about my personal involvement within my community and politics. In fact I taught a lesson on that topic in RS this past Sunday. (BTW for anyone interested. I was released as the HFPE councilor and am now the Education councilor is the RS Pres).

So the following statement by the 1st presidency really makes me step back and think. What am I doing? So to all of you out there- what are you doing to be involved??

The First Presidency

“We wish to reiterate the divine counsel that members ‘should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness’ (D&C 58:27) while using gospel principles as a guide and while cooperating with other like-minded individuals.

“Through such wise participation as citizens, we are then in better compliance with this scripture: ‘Governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and … he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them’ (D&C 134:1).

“Therefore, as in the past, we urge members of the Church to be full participants in political, governmental, and community affairs. Members of the Church are under special obligations to seek out and then uphold those leaders who are wise, good, and honest (see D&C 98:10).

“Thus, we strongly urge men and women to be willing to serve on school boards, city and county councils and commissions, state legislatures, and other high offices of either election or appointment, including involvement in the political party of their choice” (First Presidency letter, 15 Jan. 1998).




So now on a totally different subject! Over the last few months my website had been on the fritz. So, Nate and I have been working so that I will be able to maintain and update a site without having him help me. This weekend we transferred over to the new one and I need input! How does it look? Any problems you see? What would you change or add?
Thanks!!


7 comments:

kjha said...

I think the site looks great and I am going to order some for Christmas! We need to talk about what I've asked for and stuff :) Hope you can relax a little now.

theloulie said...

Just took a quick look and looks terrific. I did find a misspelling in a quote, "abounding in good works", was spelled abounging. :)

Kim said...

The site looks great. Very user friendly and cute.

Amy said...

Well I've said it before, I'm proud of all your hard work. And your website looks good!

The HousewifeTravels said...

The haunted house is over in the Las Flores/Balsam area. A sweet older couple who does a great job recreating the Disney Haunted House. They have hundreds of pumpkins in the front yard. Very fun.

turning about said...

I will take a peek but haven't yet! The school sure could use anybody's help though, which is hard I know with young kids.
A nap sounds great though.

Rosie said...

You have worked so hard onthis! I'm glad it passed and I thank you for all your diligence, you've been a great example to many!!