This weekend at headed out of town at noon and started driving to Phoenix. We had just been there 2 weeks previously for New Years so the drive felt long! We stopped for dinner in Avendale about 7:30 at Cafe Rio, it was so yummy (that or I was super hungry!).
We pulled into my dad's house at 8:15, said a quick hello to my Aunt Mary and Uncle Bryce that were there at my dad's, unloaded the car and headed to the airport to pick up my sister, brother in law and niece.
Saturday N8 and the kids got up and ready to head over to the Gilbert AZ Lds Temple open house! They said it was awesome! Benjamin and Emma especially loved being able to go inside a temple.
I stayed home and visited with family, made a last minute white shirt run for my dad and helped set up the church.
We all headed over to the church for the wedding. My dad got engaged in the middle of December to Joann. The wedding was was 5 weeks later. They have known each other for years. Her husband (who passed away a few years ago) and my dad were cousins and grew up together. I'm not super clear on all of the courtship, but it was obviously a whirlwind considering the timeline. 2 of my siblings and myself had never met Joann. We've now met and know that she is very nice and are happy that my dad is not alone. For me personally it is still a challenge. It was fast and in my mind my mom has not been gone very long at all. I hope that over time it will get easier.
One blessing of weddings (and funerals) are seeing family.
Henry is always the life of the party!
On Sunday afternoon we headed over to my brothers to visit. We hadn't had a chance to visit over Christmas so it was a great chance to visit. The kids had fun sticking their toes in his pool (even though it's January!! Gotta love Arizona weather!).
Benjamin woke up this morning barfing, a perfect way to start a drive home, NOT! But we made it, have laundry going and are getting put back together. I'm looking forward to staying home for a while!









1 comment:
I understand your mixed feelings! I loved your mom as much as I love my own sister, and I missed her so much last summer. I also saw how very lonely your dad was and knew that no matter much we tried to include him our lives, he was alone and missed your mom. We were as surprised as you when he told us he was getting married. Although I was happy for him, it was hard for me to wrap my mind around how he still choked up when he talked about your mom and get was marrying again....already. Finally I tried to but it in a perspective where I had a little more insight--If one of my children had died and I soon became pregnant with another baby, I wouldn't love the one I lost less nor miss him any less. My love for that child would have been his and his alone. I wouldn't have been replacing him. Somehow, that helped me to understand. Then, having had an hour or so to talk with just Joann while they were here I found (somewhat to my surprise) that I really like her. I want to be her friend. Take a breath and give it time and know that she does not expect to replace your mom....in your life, in your dad's, or in mine. She's hoping we'll all allow her to find hew own place in our lives. I love you! Aunt Nancy
Post a Comment