Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Craft: Wooden Snowmen

After my sister and I made our Snowman Candy bars we had the idea that we should make some that we could use year after year! So I went over to Home Depot and rifled through the cheap wood bin to find some 2x4's that we could turn into snowmen! $1.50 later I had all the w We wanted to make a "family" of snowmen. I made 8 inch tall parents and 6 inch tall kids. We then sanded the wood to get any rough spots off and painted them all white.

After they were completely dry we lightly sanded the edges to make them look a little more rustic and did a coat of very, very light watered down brown & black paint and immediately wiped it off. This gave them an aged look.

Then we measured around the wood and cut pieces of fleece that length and about 10 inches wide and sewed up the side. This is to form the hat for the snowman.

After that we made the cuts for the top of the hat. Make small cuts about 2 inches long into the fleece. When done tie a piece of ribbon or yarn tightly around to form the top of the hat. Also cut a piece of fleece about 1 inch wide by 15 inches long for the scarf. Tie around the middle of the snowman and snip the ends to make the scarf.

Then glue on buttons, googly eyes and a fun foam carrot nose!!

My sister added colored buttons behind the googly eyes to match the eye color of her children. It's a fun addition to personalize the snowmen. We also talked about making a pair of glasses out of wire for her daughter that wears glasses! Neither of us chose Christmas fleece for our snowmen so we could keep them up throughout the entire winter.

This week I plan on getting up all of my Christmas decorations so my wooden snowmen will find their home this week!

BCD Show and tell

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so cute Rachel! Love them. I want to make a set for myself!

The Nate and Sara Project said...

What a fun idea, and maybe even something that I could pull off. :) My friend made a lovely wreath that made me think of you: http://kropfs.blogspot.com/.

turning about said...

Very cute! You are so crafty!

Becca said...

Way to go!!! I love how they all look as a family! Thanks for linking!

Sheri said...

Vert cute! I've posted a link on childmade.com. These are perfect for little helpers. Thanks for sharing!

theloulie said...

LOVE them! Such a good idea.

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

haha, cute!
Linda

Unknown said...

I've made these before and they sell out at my craft shows all the time!

Unknown said...

I've made these before and they sell out at my craft shows all the time!