Friday, January 20, 2012

A re-warming trend...

On Monday evening I warmed up a hot dog for Henry in the microwave. Not more than 10 minutes later I went to reheat Emma's dinner (she had taken too long to eat and it was now cold). When I pushed start, the light came on, the turn table turned and I heard a TERRIBLE noise! A loud grumbling. after about 30 seconds I opened the door and the food was not any warmer. We tried warming up a cookie with the same results.

Since it was Monday we decided to make our FHE an outing to Home Depot. We challenged Bud to find the microwave that was the best "deal". We had printed out a Consumer Reports list of microwaves so we could make an educated choice. Unfortunately I didn't like any of the choices there and Sears had already closed. So we went home.

On Tuesday morning I headed over to Sears and found a microwave I liked and was rated well. They don't really keep anything in stock, so we ordered it and I was told I could pick it up on Thursday afternoon. After school Thursday we headed over and picked it up.

Now this morning I emptied the cupboard above the old microwave and we uninstalled the old one. Pretty easy, no more than 5 to 10 minutes. Our only difficulty was removing the old bracket. This screw was basically holding the whole thing up!
 
 
Then we brought in the new one. Mo helped me get the box open!
We figured out the new template and got our holes drilled. It took a little bit for us to figure out the toggle bolts, but we did it.
 
Then we drill new holes in the cabinet above for the new screws. Once we lifted the new one in place N8 started screwing it in and we heard a small clank and the screw would not thread into anything. We had to bring the whole thing  back down. I unscrewed about a dozen screws and pulled the top off the microwave. We had somehow "unhooked" the threading for the new screw. We got it put all back together and up!!!
N8 headed over to Home Depot after that to get something figured out for the venting. Lucky for us we already had the venting tape because he had to use quite a bit of it!!

I am grateful for a working microwave again!!!

1 comment:

Bruce said...

I think it's so funny that our microwaves went out about the same time! Thankfully we didn't have to remove our bracket; we just had to pop the old one out and pop the new one in.