Sunday, July 26, 2009

Girls camp coming right up...

Girls camp starts tomorrow. In many households Young Women will be packing their gear, making sure they have everything they'll want for the week. There are also houses where Young Women leaders are packing up and making lists for what needs to happen while they are away. At my house there aren't any Young Women (Emma has a few years to go!) and I am destined to not serve in Young Women's (or Primary for that matter!!). So, it is N8 that gets the pleasure of attending girls camp this year. They want a member of each ward's bishopric to attend camp the entire week and that duty fell on N8. He will leave on Monday morning and go on the 4th year over-night hike and then stay at camp until Saturday morning. He's been nervous about being bored. He HATES to be bored. He's also a little concerned that he won't really know what to do. I think he'll have a blast!!

I have nothing but fond memories of girls camp. My experience is different that the girls here in Ridgecrest will have. I attended Camp LoMia. It was a great camp that had cabins, toilets, showers and a lodge. All but my first year all of our meals were prepared and eaten in the lodge due to high fire danger and fire restrictions. I realize that some may say this is a wimpy way to have girls camp, but it's the only way I know.

One of my favorite memories is sitting in the lodge by ward each evening and singing camp songs. I remember Sister Miller and Sarah doing "Boom Chicka Boom" and "I had a chicken". But some of my favorites still are:

I love the Mountains:
I love the mountains,
I love the rolling hills,
I love the flowers,
I love the daffodils.
I love the fireside
When all the lights are low.
Boom dee a da, boom dee a da
Boom dee a da, boom dee a da

I see the Moon:
I see the moon and the moon sees me;
The moon sees somebody I'd like to see.
God bless the moon and god bless me,
And God bless the somebody I'd like to see

And the best one of all!!

I have a Daisy on my Toe:
I have a daisy on my toe
It is not real, it does not grow,
It's just a tattoo of a flower
So I look good taking a a shower

It's on the second toe of my left foot
A stem a flower, but it has no root
('cause it wouldn't look good)
My right foot loves my left foot so.
Oh, oh, oh, oh!

What are your camp memories. Give me the good the bad and the funny!!

8 comments:

Amy said...

I hope N8 has fun. I'm not a big fan of going to girls camp. Hopefully he won't be bored. Maybe he can slip off for a hike or something. And kudos for him for using vacation... that is a true sacrifice. You'll receive many blessings for it.

The HousewifeTravels said...

I'll keep him laughing all week for sure.

Unknown said...

You're girls camp sounds like my kind of camping. ha ha ha. I only went a few years and it was not my favorite (even though I loved camping at that time). Sadly our YW's was very very catty and the girls in our ward fought the whole time! I mean really mean fighting. So sad.

kjha said...

Hmm, camp... big cat fight with the most sincere apologies you've ever heard at testimony meeting :)

Hope this week goes well for ALL of you!

theloulie said...

Our camp had a big lodge but everyone slept in tents except one year when we had a huge rain and hail storm, we were all packed in the lodge. There was a lake to canoe in, but we didn't swim because of the leaches.

Verity said...

I have mixed emotions about Girls Camp. It's definitely a right of passage. Most years we camped in tents--one year we had RAIN, RAIN, RAIN that wouldn't go away. The ceiling of our tent had to be propped up inside to help the rain wash off instead of forming a big, heavy puddle, so my friends and I got turns all through the night holding that stick. When it was my turn, I accidentally popped a huge hole in tent fabric, and the water started pouring in on us like a faucet. Yeah, thankfully I had some really good friends in that tent with me. :)

Verity said...

Rite of passage? Oh, well! :)

Shelby said...

Sorry Rachel. Didn't mean to post under Eric. oops!