Sunday, March 1, 2009

The tale of the tax return...

This week our federal tax return came. Of course not our California State return because who knows if anyone in the state will ever get those! For me this is a fun time of the year where we get a little extra boost and are able to buy a few things that we have been wanting to get, but just haven't. I realize that to some a tax return means that the government took more of your money throughout the year that you could have spent and are now having to give it back without interest. But hey, I still like it.

So, we're still in debate on where it should all go, but a few things have been already purchased!

First (and to be honest I would have gotten it anyways, but it came this week so it gets on the list!)- I got a new purse. I love purses, but I don't do expensive high end purses. I like fun, funky and functional. I had been using my cherry purse for quite a while and was ready for a change. So, it's a KAVU Seattle Sling, with the sage floral print. I like the look, it's smaller than I anticipated, but so far so good:

This weekend we went down to LA to the temple. For some reason, our kids think it's the coolest thing to stay in a hotel. Now the LA temple patron apartments aren't quite a hotel, but they are by Emma and Bud's standards. It was nice that both N8 and were able to do a session.

Of course while we're down there we have to do a little shopping! We ended up going to Fry's Electronics, 2 Best Buy's and N8 went to a Circuit City. We did end up finding what we were looking for- A netbook. For those who don't know what a netbook is here's Wikipedia's definition for you:

A netbook (a portmanteau of Internet and notebook) is a class of laptop computer[1] designed for wireless communication and access to the Internet.

Primarily designed for web browsing and e-mailing, netbooks "rely heavily on the Internet for remote access to web-based applications"[2] and are targeted increasingly at cloud computing users who require a less powerful client computer.[3]. Netbooks typically run either Linux or Windows XP operating systems [2] rather than more resource-intensive operating systems like Windows Vista[4]. The devices range in size from below 5 inches[5] to over 13,[6], typically weigh 2 to 3 pounds (~1kg) and are often significantly cheaper than general purpose laptops.[2]

Netbooks represent a "greener" alternative to larger laptops due to "lower power demands, fewer toxic components, and a resource-efficient approach to computing" and some models have achieved EPEAT gold and silver ratings.[7]

This is the one we ended up with:

N8 has a work laptop, but he has constant problems connecting to the internet and no webcam, plus is bulky. So, he'll take this on travel, the kids can play games and less fighting over the computer- we're excited about it.

One of our other stops was IKEA. I love that place! I was on the search for a work space for the kids that wasn't my countertop! It is constantly overrun with papers, homework and art supplies. So we found a table top and legs that are ajustable so we can make it out of Mo's reach with bar stools for the kids:

We also got some shelves to go above it to store different art supplies. It's going to be a few weeks before it gets put up. We're going to put it where our fish tank currently sits. Sorry Mom and Dad, but the fish tank has to find a new home. We're going to have a garage sale (no date yet, but hopefully in March) or if we find someone from the ward or work that wants a fish tank- with fish living in it- they can have it.

Now we have to decide what we're going to do with the rest of our refund. We have a few items on our list. Of course at the top is saving it, which we will do at least some of. We also need a new sliding back door, front window, AC unit and we're found a sleeper sofa to replace our garage sale futon. We'll see what we decide!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I have some fish fiends over here who would love to have some pets...if you can tell us how to take care of them! LOL!

Amy said...

Well it sounds like you are being very wise with your refund. I love the purse. It's so very cute! I'm a little sad about the fish, but I don't want them, so...

kjha said...

I of course love your purse! And of course, I would have picked the same pattern, it's the cutest. My cherry bag is now the diaper bag that stays in the van...think of you every time I use it, but not because of the diapers :) Miss ya!

mytee sooperox said...

I love your purse! I will have to come check it out as my purse is starting to wear out :(

Sadly (or happily, whichever way you look at it) most of our tax return is heading towards paying off our car. It should save us a bundle in interest AND get us that much closer to paying off.

Next on the list is getting the microwave hood that we should've gotten a year ago. I want it more for the light over the stove than the microwave.

The rest will probably get blown (I mean, used to stimulate the economy) on Duplos and stamp stuff for our businesses. We probably should save some. Yeah. That would be a good idea.